Student profile: Matt Kretman

9/1/15 Ford School headshots

I grew up just outside of Washington, D.C. and was always passionate about politics and public service. I also always dreamed of going to Michigan and attended here as an undergraduate, where I majored in political science.  After college, I returned to the D.C. area and had the opportunity to work for Congressman Chris Van Hollen, my home state representative from Maryland.  I spent more than 5 years working for him in a number of capacities, including as the Director of Outreach for his House Leadership office, and as a Senior Legislative Assistant where I advised him on a range of issues, including national security, immigration, and judiciary policy. In 2015, I decided to return to the University of Michigan to pursue a dual Master of Public Policy and Master of Business Administration degree to learn more about public management and policy analysis.

As a student at Ford, I am very interested in the intersection of public policy and business and have focused my policy interest on economic development.  After I graduate, I would love to help a city or a region smartly invest in business to help stimulate the economy in a way that helps people across the spectrum.

Q – Favorite Ford School class or professor? Why?

My favorite class was microeconomics and the applications it had for public policy.  Learning how to construct a CBA, how to measure externalities, and how to develop frameworks to solve complex policy problems was incredibly helpful for what I want to do after I leave Ford.

Q – Best thing about the Ford School?

The people!  It is so satisfying to come to class everyday and be surrounded by people who are passionate about public service and helping the community.  In addition, everyone at Ford has an insatiable intellectual curiosity and as a result, I am constantly learning not only from my classes, but from my peers.

Q – What’s your favorite place, at U-M, or in Ann Arbor or Detroit, to take an out-of-town guest? Describe it.

Aside from the Big House (Go Blue!) I love visiting the arboretum.  I try to visit at least once every season to see the change in the scenery.  Plus there are so many trails that I have never taken the same path more than once.

Q – Favorite quote? 

“Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.” – JFK